VU Security is responsible for the provision and co-ordination of security services across all Victoria University campuses.
The primary function of security is the protection of people and property, as well as the prevention and detection of crime across the University.
Our objective is to provide a safe and secure workplace and learning environment by achieving a level of security that is superior to that in the region surrounding our campuses.
VU Security Operations Centre
Our Security Operations Centre:
- emergency phone number is +61 3 9919 6666. (Add this number to your mobile phone)
- is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be called for assistance
- has direct contact with the Campus Security Officers located on all VU campuses.
For general enquiries about safety issues on campus phone Security Management on +61 3 9919 4999.
Functions of Security Operations
The primary functions of Security Operations is to:
- protect all people
- protect property
- prevent and detect crime
- operate a 24 hour control room that is able to monitor CCTV, building access controls and alarm systems.
- maintain visible patrols of our campuses and car parks.
We encourage all staff, students and visitors to report any security incidents or suspicious activity on campus or in carparks.
Reports can be made either in person at a campus security office, or by calling the Security Operations Centre (Phone: +61 3 9919 4999).
Location of security offices
If you need to attend a security office, for example to make a report, these are the locations on campus:
- City Flinders (Flinders Lane): Room G002
- City King: Room 1.006
- City Queen (300 Queen Street): Room Q102A
- Footscray Nicholson: Room T008
- Footscray Park: Room E101
- St Albans: Room 10.128A
- Sunshine: Room F126
- Werribee: Room 3.136.
Security services provided
VU security regularly patrol buildings and car parks, both on and off-campus. They are here to help you.
You can request a security escort on campus. Simply phone the Security Operations Centre on your campus on +61 3 9919 4999.
Security escorts provide students and staff:
- with a guard to walk with you to other buildings on campus
- assistance walking from your office or study area to your vehicle (if parked in a VU car park).
Please note that there is not a dedicated guard for this service. During busy times, you may experience a short wait before they can assist you.
Crime prevention & investigation
We maintain a close relationship with the police, other emergency services and offer a number of crime prevention strategies to ensure that Victoria University remains a safe place to study and work.
If you are leaving the campus after business hours, consider taking the St Albans or Footscray Park/Footscray Nicholson shuttle bus services to the local train station.
The VU Carpool Program lets you to make car sharing arrangements with fellow students who travel to and from similar destinations.
There are car parks at most campuses, for which you'll need to buy a ticket. The Road Safety Act (1986) and all associated regulations and amendments is enforced in University car parks so please observe signs to avoid fines.
Useful phone numbers
- Emergency number for Police, Fire, Ambulance: 000
Department of Education & Training Student hotline: 1300 363 079
The Minister for Education established a student hotline. Any student can ring this number to anonymously raise concerns.
Please note that the helpline is not for immediate emergency assistance.
If you require immediate help in an emergency dial 000.
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 (for access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services).
Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000
Crime Stoppers is a confidential service that is interested in your information, not your identity. If you are an International student, reporting a crime will NOT impact your visa.