The College of Engineering & Science offers courses in the areas of building, engineering, Information Technology, science and project management at Bachelor and Master levels. We also offer research degrees at Master and PhD levels.
Problem-based learning in courses
The College of Engineering & Science champions Problem-Based Learning (PBL) delivery in our courses. PBL is a teaching and learning approach that encourages students to be self-directed independent learners. We emphasise development of life-long learning skills.
Units delivered in PBL are central to the curriculum in preparing our students to be work-ready graduates. It helps students develop:
- technical knowledge and skills
- problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- independent learning skills
- teamwork skills
- communications skills.
PBL uses problems as the starting point, and the stimulus, for learning. Problems often come from industry or the community – this provides a real-world context for learning and development of 21st century skills.
For more information contact Dr Alasdair McAndrew, Director Learning and Teaching (Operations).
The College of Engineering & Science offers courses in five areas: building, engineering, Information Technology (IT), science and project management.
Building & construction
- Bachelor of Construction Management (Honours)
- Bachelor of Building Surveying
- Bachelor of Building Design.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Architectural Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Civil Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Electrical and Sports Engineering) (new for 2017)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Mechanical Engineering)
- Graduate Certificate in Performance-Based Building and Fire Codes
- Master of Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Building Fire Safety and Risk Engineering) (by coursework).
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Professional)
- Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security
- Master of Applied Information Technology.
- Bachelor of Pharmaceutical and Health Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Science for Teaching)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours).
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Diploma in Project Management
- Master of Project Management (by coursework).
Quality assurance for our courses
Our courses and research programs are regularly reviewed by highly skilled and experienced academics. Industry panels also regularly contribute to the structure and content of each program, ensuring that current practice and industry developments are included.
The College of Engineering & Science delivers Masters level courses which are offered by coursework or by research, and PhDs by either publication or by research.
Conducted in collaboration with industry and community partners, our postgraduate courses provide technical and management specialisation with various durations, allowing you to fit study in with your existing commitments.
We offer two Masters:
- Master of Engineering (by Research) – Chemical, Civil & Building, Electrical, Environmental Safety & Risk or Mechanical Engineering or Physics
- Master of Science (Research) – Computer & Mathematical Sciences.
We offer three PhDs:
- PhD in Engineering (Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical or Mechanical)
- PhD in Natural and Physical Sciences (Biotechnology, Chemical Sciences, Ecology or Physical Sciences)
- PhD in Information Sciences or Mathematical Sciences.
Find out more about our research in engineering & science.
VU offers a range of equity and merit-based scholarships for undergraduate students who are in financial need.
VU offers scholarships for postgraduate research and international students to assist with the costs of study.
The College of Engineering & Science also provides additional scholarship opportunities, such as summer research scholarships and write-up scholarships.
For more information contact Elizabeth Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer research scholarships
Each summer we offer up to 10 summer research scholarships. These are offered to undergraduate students or recent graduates to conduct research during the summer (up to 12 weeks) under the supervision of established researchers in the College.
We offer write-up scholarships in two rounds per year. These scholarships are for students who have completed and submitted their thesis and intend to write-up manuscripts for publication from their work with their supervisors.
The Bogong scholarship is an award made available by the generosity of an anonymous benefactor who wishes to assist students from regional Victoria to pursue engineering studies at VU.
The Bogong scholarship is offered annually to one second year engineering student who completed his/her VCE studies in a rural high school. Priority is given to students from the Alpine region. The scholarship is merit-based and is offered to a student with outstanding academic achievement in his/her first year of engineering. The scholarship offers $2500 per annum for three years to completion of the course subject to satisfactory academic progress.
Calls for applications are made at the beginning of each academic year.
Overseas study scholarships
There are also a number of exchange grants, loans and scholarships available for current students going overseas for study.
The College of Engineering & Science offers several awards to acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of our students.
In addition to the Dean's Scholar Award, the College offers the following industry, professional association and donor awards.
- Australian Computer Society
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Steel Reinforcement Institute of Australia
- Australian Steel Institute
- Institution of Civil Engineers, Victorian Local Association
- Builders Academy Australia
- The Hendry Group
- The McKenzie Group
- John B. Koschade Award
- Umow Lai Award
- Umow Lai Garry Powell Award
- Jayaland Corporation Award.
Project management achievement awards
Higher performers in the graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters of Project Management courses are recognised by industries such as:
- Lend Lease Pty Ltd
- Savills Project Management
- AMP Capital Investors
- Major Projects Victoria
- Hollow Core Concrete
- Australian Institute of Project Management.