On 21 June we sent all students this email advising of some big changes and improvements to email. Basically, it means Microsoft has announced they're ending the Live@edu email accounts, which will be replaced by Microsoft Office 365.
By the end of July 2013, all students will be using Microsoft Office 365 for the VU student email system.
As a student, you are expected to regularly check your email account for:
- updates on the management of your course
- key student administration matters
- University events
- individual emails from your lecturers and fellow students.
Login to your student email account if you already know how it works.
You can also access your email through MYVU Portal. Once logged into the MYVU portal, click on My Learning and then click on Email.
If you're not sure how it works and what you can do with the system, read on.
On this page
Student email features
Microsoft 365 email provides you with access to:
- 25GB of email storage using Microsoft Outlook Web
- Multiple browser support
- SMS alerts to your mobile phone
You can also setup a Personal Microsoft account at https://skydrive.live.com. A personal Microsoft account will give you access to:
- SkyDrive for online storage
- Instant Messenger
- Other Microsoft services.
Note: Victoria University does not administer this personal account on Skydrive and cannot reset passwords.
How to access your student email
If you are a first time user you can access your student email account within 48 hours of successfully enrolling at the University. To check your enrolment status, contact the Student Service Centre +61 3 9919 6100.
You can access your email through MYVU Portal. Once logged in, click on My Learning and then click on the Email link. You can also find out the username/email address which you can use to login direct at Microsoft Office 365.
Important emails from the Victoria University community will be sent to your student email account so it is important that you activate your student email and check it on a regular basis.
Set up email on your mobile device
When configuring for mobile devices, use the server name m.outlook.com. Specific information for your specific mobile device is available at Outlook Help.
For Android mobile phones
- From the Applications menu, select Email. This application may be named Mail on some versions of Android.
- Type your full e-mail address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, and your password, and then select Next.
- Select Exchange account. This option may be named Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android.
- Enter m.outlook.com for the exchange server and select Next.
- Your phone will now verify your server settings and the Account Options screen will appear. Customise these settings to suit your needs and select Next.
- Type a name for this account and the name you want displayed when you send email to others. Select Done.
For iOS (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch)
- If this is the first e-mail account on this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, select Mail. Otherwise, select Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange.
- Tap in the e-mail box and enter your full e-mail address, for example email@example.com..
- Leave the Domain box empty.
- Tap in the Username box and enter your full e-mail address again.
- Tap in the Password box and enter your password.
- Optionally, tap in the Description box and enter a short description for the account.
- Tap Next on the upper right corner of the screen. Tap in the Server box and enter m.outlook.com and tap Next.
- You will see 'Verifying' at the top of the screen which will confirm your connection.
- Choose the type of information you want to synchronize. By default, Mail, Calendar, and Contacts are all turned on. To turn off synchronization for a type of information, tap and slide the switch to OFF.
- Tap Save.
Manage your email accounts
If you already have an email account, you can either forward your student emails onto your primary email account or use your student email account to send and receive mail for your other email accounts.
Forward your student emails to your existing email address
To forward your student emails onto your personal email account, follow these simple steps.
- Log into your student email account
- Go to Options > See All Options
- Under "Shortcuts to other things you can do", click on Forward your email
- At the bottom of the page, where it says "Forward my email to:" enter the email address of the account you want all email to be forwarded to
- Click on Start Forwarding
Important emails from the University, sent to your student email address, will now be sent to your preferred email address.
More information and other features
Visit the Office 365 help site for guides and FAQs
IT Service Desk
Phone: +61 3 9919 2777 (option 3)