Check your student email for:
- updates on your course
- messages from your lecturers and students
- important administration issues.
If you are a first time user you can access your student email account within 48 hours of successfully enrolling at the University.
On this page
Your student email via the web
Login to your VU student email (using Microsoft Office 365) account if you already know how it works.
If you don't know your username/email address, you can do so using the MyVU Portal login.
We've also created an easy to remember URL for the webpage: www.vu.edu.au/studentemail. Use this anytime to access the email via a web browser.
Login via MYVU Portal
You can also access your email through MyVU Portal.Once logged into the MYVU portal, click on My Learning and then click on Email.
You can also find out the username/email address which you can use to login.
Set up email on your mobile device
When configuring for mobile devices, use the server name m.outlook.com.
Specific information for your specific mobile device is available at Outlook Help.
For Android mobile phones
- From the Applications menu, select Email. This application may be named Mail on some versions of Android.
- Type your full e-mail address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, and your password, and then select Next.
- Select Exchange account. This option may be named Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android.
- Enter m.outlook.com for the exchange server and select Next.
- Your phone will now verify your server settings and the Account Options screen will appear. Customise these settings to suit your needs and select Next.
- Type a name for this account and the name you want displayed when you send email to others. Select Done.
For iOS (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch)
- If this is the first e-mail account on this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, select Mail. Otherwise, select Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange.
- Tap in the e-mail box and enter your full e-mail address, for example email@example.com..
- Leave the Domain box empty.
- Tap in the Username box and enter your full e-mail address again.
- Tap in the Password box and enter your password.
- Optionally, tap in the Description box and enter a short description for the account.
- Tap Next on the upper right corner of the screen. Tap in the Server box and enter m.outlook.com and tap Next.
- You will see 'Verifying' at the top of the screen which will confirm your connection.
- Choose the type of information you want to synchronise. By default, Mail, Calendar, and Contacts are all turned on. To turn off synchronisation for a type of information, tap and slide the switch to OFF.
- Tap Save.
Manage your email accounts
If you already have a non-VU email account that you check regularly, you can either:
- forward your student emails onto your primary email account, or
- use your student email account to send and receive mail for your other email accounts.
Forward your student emails to an existing email address
To forward your student emails onto your personal email account, follow these steps.
- Log into your student email account
- Go to Options > See All Options
- Under "Shortcuts to other things you can do", click on Forward your email
- At the bottom of the page, where it says "Forward my email to:" enter the email address of the account you want all email to be forwarded to
- Click on Start Forwarding.
Important emails from the University that are normally sent to your student email address, will now be sent to your preferred personal email address.
Features, guides & help
Microsoft 365 email provides you with access to:
- 50GB of email storage using Microsoft Outlook Web
- Multiple browser support.
You can also setup a Personal Microsoft account at https://onedrive.live.com/. A personal Microsoft account will give you access to:
- Onedrive for online storage
- Other Microsoft services.
Note: Victoria University does not administer this personal account on Onedrive and cannot reset passwords.
Visit the Office 365 help site for guides and FAQs.
Office 365 download and installation instructions
As a VU student, you can download and install Office 365 ProPlus for free on up to 5 personal computers/devices.
IT Service Desk
Phone: +61 3 9919 2777 (option 3)