Victoria University (VU) has a long and proud tradition of sporting excellence. Some of our students have represented Australia at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games. Many have competed at the World University Games and Championships.
The great sporting achievements of our students are recognised through our annual VU Sport Awards.
On this page
VU Sport Awards
At the annual Victoria University Sport Awards we celebrate the achievements of past and present students. The award categories recognise outstanding sporting performance and service by individuals, teams and clubs across VU.
Congratulations to all the 2013 nominees and recipients.
Individual award categories
Blues (Individual Awardees)
Recognising outstanding sporting performance representing University, country and or state.
Alwyn Jones (Triple Jump) and Natalia Kremenchutskaya (Triple Jump)
Alex Benbow, Ben Clifton
Alex Bogart-King, Shane Crick
Cross Country Skiing
Trent O'Dea, Patrick Kirley
Sport Person of the Year
Awarded to the best performing student (male and female)
- David Webster - Rowing
- Jacinta Carroll - Water Skiing
Club and team award categories
Recognising outstanding service to the development and maintenance of sporting clubs and representative teams (students and non-students).
- Ashleigh Guest – Australian Rules
- Alex Bogart-King – Basketball
- Ashlea Barnes – Basketball
- Riccardo Marchioli – Football
- Vedat Ilgaz Football - Football
- Lauren Bell - Handball, Touch
- Maeve Ryan – Handball, Touch
- Jessica Linnell – Hockey
- Samantha Coppinger – Netball
- Alicija Marko Rawlings – Netball
- Chris Khoo – Ultimate Frisbee
Sport Club of the Year
Awarded to club competing in community sporting association that has achieved significant success and improvement from previous year.
- VU Volleyball Club
Team of the Year
Awarded for outstanding team achievement at the Australian University Games or an Australian University Championship.
- Football (mens)
Nominations for the 2014 VU Sport Awards will open 1 July 2014.
Our sporting record
We would like to congratulate the following VU teams on winning national and/or regional gold medals in the past two years:
- Australian Rules (Women) Regional Champions 2013
- Basketball (Men) National (Div 2) and Regional Champions 2012
- Basketball (Women) Regional Champions 2012
- Cheerleading (mixed) Regional Champions 2012
- Golf (Women) Regional Champions 2012
- Judo (Women) National Champions 2012
- Taekwondo (Men) National Champions 2012
- Tennis National Champions (Div 2) 2013.
Victoria University Sport Hall of Fame
Inductees into the VU sport hall of fame are retired elite sport players who are VU graduates and recognises that they have achieved outstanding, sustained performance in an elite sport.
|Year of induction||Athlete's name||Sport|
|2011||Brad Johnson||Australian Rules|
|2010||Peter Thomson AO CBE||Golf|
|2008||Rachael Dacy||Pole Vault|
For further information on VU's sport awards contact:
Scott Cashmere, Sport Services Manager
Phone: + 61 3 9919 4433