Victoria University (VU) has a long and proud tradition of sporting excellence. Some of our students have represented Australia at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games. Many have competed at the World University Games and Championships.
The great sporting achievements of our students are recognised through our annual VU Sport Awards.
On this page
VU Sport Awards
At the annual Victoria University Sport Awards we celebrate the achievements of past and present students. The award categories recognise outstanding sporting performance and service by individuals, teams and clubs across VU.
Congratulations to all the 2012 nominees and recipients.
Individual award categories
Blues (Individual Awardees)
Recognising outstanding sporting performance representing University, country and or state.
Prabhjot Rai (Shot put and discus), Charlie Blanch (Track) and Ellen Pettitt (Triple Jump)
Julia Baker, John Kyprianou, Mitchell Pearce, Kane Twentyman
Ross Smith, Renuga Veeran
Jeremiah Juric, Nicole McMahon
Amanda Yew, Natalie Commons
Matthew Gaite, Nikola Kupres
Sara Collins, Hannah Trotter
Seda Demirkiran, Shannon Kincade
Sport Persons of the Year
Awarded to the best performing student (male and female)
- Liam Adams
- Jacinta Carroll
Club and team award categories
Recognising outstanding service to the development and maintenance of sporting clubs and representative teams (students and non-students)
- Julia Baker - Australian Rules
- Jack Cafarella - Australian Rules
- Michael Sandry - Australian Rules
- Emily Cheung - Cheerleading
- Ella Squires - Touch
- Tegan Gray - Volleyball
- Luke Renehan - Volleyball
Sport Club of the Year
Awarded to club competing in community sporting association that has achieved significant success and improvement from previous year
- VU St Albans Spurs - Australian Rules Women (VWFL)
Team of the Year
Awarded for outstanding team achievement at the Australian University Games or an Australian University Championship
Nominations for the 2013 VU Sport Awards will open mid 2013.
Our sporting record
We would like to congratulate the following VU teams on winning national and/or regional gold medals in the past two years:
- Australian Rules (Women) Regional Champions 2011
- Basketball (Men) National Champions (Div 2) and Regional Champions 2011
- Cheerleading (mixed) Regional Champions 2011
- Football (Women) Regional Champions 2011
- Volleyball (Women) Regional Champions 2011
- Australian Rules (Women) Regional and National Champions 2010
- Netball (Mixed) National and Regional Champions 2010
- Basketball (Women) Regional Champions 2009 and 2010
- Volleyball (Men) Regional Champions 2010
Victoria University Sport Hall of Fame
Inductees into the VU sport hall of fame are retired elite sport players who are VU graduates and recognises that they have achieved outstanding, sustained performance in an elite sport.
|Year of induction||Athlete's name||Sport|
|2011||Brad Johnson||Australian Rules|
|2010||Peter Thomson AO CBE||Golf|
|2008||Rachael Dacy||Pole Vault|
For further information on VU's sport awards contact:
Scott Cashmere, Sport Services Manager
Phone: + 61 3 9919 4433