In Transition Education, part of VET College, we ensure our learning environment and course content is suited to your needs by offering specific programs for young people, mature-age students, Indigenous Australians, migrants and refugees, and students with special needs.
Study in transition education can lead directly into employment or courses, from trade-based certificates through to higher education degrees. So whether you want to become a bricklayer, business owner or research scientist, we make it easier for you to realise your potential and succeed.
For an overview of Transition Education at VU, see the Transition Education Discipline guide.
On this page
Transition Education focuses on:
- English language learners
- foundation courses (including English as a additional language)
- adult and community education
- general education for adults (including via distance education)
- industry language, literacy & numeracy
- young people and early school leavers
- school, university and community partnerships
- local and international community links
- student retention.
We offer courses in:
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) (various levels) for local students
- General Education for Adults
- Indigenous Foundation Education - Certificate II in Mumgu-dhal tyama-tiyt & Certificate III in Mumgu-dhal tyama-tiyt
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) (download a progress report for Adult VCE in 2013)
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
- Work Education & Transition Education (for people with special learning needs).
Why choose Transition Education at VU
Whether you are an early school leaver, returning to study after a break, or wanting to improve your English, literacy and numeracy skills, we'll help you get where you want to go.
We are experts in language, literacy and learning education with a long history of helping students, migrants and refugees achieve success in study, work and community integration.
We are one of the largest providers of EAL education in Melbourne, and offer courses at the University’s campuses in Sunshine, Footscray, Werribee and St Albans.
Our connections provide you with learning opportunities in real educational, business
and community settings – improving your employability and giving you greater confidence in daily life.
VET College & Transition Education commitment
Transition Education in VU's VET College confirms support for the principles and practice of Australian democracy, including a commitment to:
- elected government
- the rule of law
- equal rights for all before the law
- freedom of religion
- freedom of speech and association
- the values of openness and tolerance.
Our commitment to the above is demonstrated through VU's policies and procedures which are underpinned by our core values of access, excellence and respect.
We offer distance education study for the reading and writing units in the Certificate II in General Education for Adults. Our distance education program is a minimum one year course with a range of topics to help you improve your reading and writing skills. You’ll be able to study at home and at your own pace and we’ll provide you with all the study materials you need.
The program is based at our Footscray Nicholson campus. If you’re located nearby we can organise regular meetings or group workshops. If you can’t attend, we’ll organise email access and discuss the course with you by phone.
You’ll need to complete:
- two compulsory core units -
- two reading units (selected by VU)
- two writing units (selected by VU).
When you successfully complete the 6 Units, you will receive a Statement of Attainment in General Education for Adults (Reading and Writing, Certificate II).
Fees & enrolment
Please contact us if you’d like to discuss the distance education program. We’ll then post you an enrolment pack.
Cost for Health Care Card holders: approximately $175.
Cost for Non Health Care Card holders: approximately $550.
Phone: +61 3 9919 8856
Phone: +61 3 9919 8741
“Because I have small children, the Distance Program allowed me to take care of my family and study at the same time”
“The Distance Education Program suited me as I have my own business and don’t have time to attend classes. It helped me to improve my spelling skills.”
“The CDs helped me, as I was able to hear many words I would otherwise struggle to pronounce.”
Contact us - Transition Education
Phone: +61 3 9919 6100
Find specific Transition Education staff on our College staff page.